Power of Attorney in Virginia | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
Omari (Leaders Of The New South)
I was told by a General District clerk today in Richmond that I cannot have a tenant grant me power of attorney for me to file a Tenants Assertion on their behalf even if they are physically unable to come into court today. She said that only an attorney can do file on someone's behalf. 
Is that true? Is that how they are excluding poor people from securing their rights or is the clerk FOS?
I'm still researching.
Share:
Maurice Ashby
Maurice Ashby Aug 10 '16
The clerks are usually the most incompetent. 

If you enter in a notarized instrument  autographed by both parties, they really cant refuse the documents or visit.

I would defer this Question to the admin user. 

President
President Aug 10 '16

Virginia is a common law state and I'm certain that in a civil matter you have the power to act in the capacity of an Agent and or Attorney in Fact for a principal---If the matter is in court, simply enter your appearance as attorney in fact and move forward from there---do not engage in statutory language

Commonwealth of Virginia VA. CODE §§ 55-225.12; 55-248.27

http://www.courts.state.va.us/forms/district/dc429.pdf

Quote from Maurice Ashby The clerks are usually the most incompetent. 

If you enter in a notarized instrument  autographed by both parties, they really cant refuse the documents or visit.

I would defer this Question to the admin user. 

Indeed they are. I tell people all the time. They know how to work the desk. They do not know the law

Quote from President

Virginia is a common law state and I'm certain that in a civil matter you have the power to act in the capacity of an Agent and or Attorney in Fact for a principal---If the matter is in court, simply enter your appearance as attorney in fact and move forward from there---do not engage in statutory language

Commonwealth of Virginia VA. CODE §§ 55-225.12; 55-248.27

http://www.courts.state.va.us/forms/district/dc429.pdf

Sounds good. Thanks bro